Monday, September 13, 2010

Finished the 1/2 Marathon

I ran the Chicago Half Marathon yesterday. 13.1 miles in 2 hours, 20 minutes and 9 seconds. Unbelievable! I thought and worried all week that I wouldn't be able to do it. But once I started running, everything fell into place. I got a little tired at the 7 mile marker but ran through it and finished in a unbelievable time. I didn't stop or walk at all. Held my own. At the 12 mile marker my legs were burning but I kept a clear head and knew it was only minutes away.

It was a beautiful day. Cool and clear and the course was on Lake Shore Drive. Started in Jackson Park around 63rd street then up to 31st and back. Over 13,000 people finished and I came in 9,000th place. Can't remember the exact number but I'm in there. Running through the finish line is the best feeling in the whole world. It's such a rush. I am envious of all those runners that in their life got to run through the first place ribbon. I bet that is an incredible feeling. The winning women came in at 1 hour 17 minutes. Even in my youth I don't think I could ever have beaten that number.

Bobby came down town with me. It was hard for him to find me at the end so I'll have to wait until the marathon photos become available before I post one.

No comments:

Post a Comment